Saturday, March 18, 2017

Students Need Experiences



“Students are limited not only by intellects but by the experiences that expand their intellects” (Rubin, 1994, p. 789).


While reading Comparing the Theories and Practices of Tyler and Dewey with Expert and Effective Teaching of Today, I came upon the above quote from Rubin. As I have been reading this week, I have thought about something I have discussed with several teachers over the years concerning how student experience plays a role in academic achievement. As a teacher, I try to relate material to life experiences. I have found that the longer I teach, this becomes more difficult. While former students enjoyed hearing about travel experiences, basketball, fishing, and other activities, it seems that more recent students seem to only relate to video games, movies, and music. While I certainly try to use their experiences with media to make topics relevant, I have often wondered if they would not be more successful if their parents provided them with more experiences to draw from as they are learning. I have students who have never been to a beach, heard classical music, been in an art museum, went fishing, played or watch sports, and rarely go outside. While I understand that travel may not be in the budget for some parents, there are many experiences they could give their children for little to no financial investment. I strongly encourage parents to not simply rely on school fields to provide their children with fun and educational learning experiences but to work to plan some as a family. In spite of what they may believe, these types of experiences do play a role in how well their child learns certain material.



References:

Rubin, L.J. (1994). Ralph W. Tyler: A remembrance. Phi Delta Kappan, 75(12), 784-789.

Smith, K.H. (2003). Comparing the theories and practices of Tyler and Dewey with expert and effective teaching of today (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/smith_karen_h_200305_edd.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Students Controlling Their Own Education?

In this video at a TED convention in Australia, Peter Hutton (2014) describes perceived problems with high school curriculum and instruct...