Saturday, April 1, 2017

Virtual Class Visits with Authors

As a student, I remember receiving an assignment to check out a library book, read it, do a book report, and write a letter to the author. I honestly do not remember the book I read or the author I wrote to, but I do remember being one of only a few in my class to receive a response from the author I chose. Hopefully, I will find it one day in the midst of all the packed away memories from my childhood.

Today, students are experiencing this same type of excitement in literature, but they are actually getting to interact with the author through technology tools like Skype and Twitter. This is a great way for teachers to get students excited about reading. I had not really thought of this idea until I read the article "Virtual Class Visits Link Book Authors to Students." As educators, we can really expand this idea to many different experts. Last year, our Lego Robotics team did a conference call with an entomologist from Canada. They were so excited about this opportunity, but I can imagine that they would have been even more excited to use Skype for this purpose.

Read the article:
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017/03/22/virtual-class-visits-link-book-authors-to.html

References:
Loewus, L. (2017, March 21). Virtual class visits link book authors to students. Retrieved April 02, 2017, from http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2017/03/22/virtual-class-visits-link-book-authors-to.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Students Controlling Their Own Education?

In this video at a TED convention in Australia, Peter Hutton (2014) describes perceived problems with high school curriculum and instruct...